Happy birthday to Garky Eats! It was one year ago today that I made public my first post on this blog, formalizing my ramblings about my dining out, cooking experiments, and gastro nostalgia. It’s an indicator of my age to say this, I know, but damn, did that past year seem to go quickly: I barely blinked and it was gone. Oy! All downhill from here, I gather.
Because I’m totally one to dwell on the past, I’ve whipped up this list of my favorite posts from the last year. In case you’re wondering how I selected these posts, well, there’s no easy answer. Some are favorites for personal reasons — I was having an inexplicably good day, or I liked the quality of light in the living room, or a certain breakfast inspired nostalgia even deeper than that expressed in my writing. Some recount the best meals of the year. And some are wild cards, representations of the fickleness of preference & choice. He-yo!
Garky’s Best: 2010 Edition
- Remember the time Sabina and I relived the childhood wonder of Entenmann’s coffee cake? We’ll have to do that again soon. #powderedsugarforlyfe!
- Ah, yes: I well remember my first drink at Comstock Saloon. (Subsequent drinks are harder to recall.)
- In which I elaborate on my tru luv of La Boulange.
- This spring, I began giving weekend culinary tours — here’s the lowdown.
- At the Cheese School of SF, I learned the basics of crafting cheese from scratch.
- Review of last year’s Street Food Festival (plus, a pic of me with blond hair!).
- Rethinking the Halloween Hierarchy — best to sort out your candy preferences early.
- Ohhhhhh: this salad: try it.
- When Marisa set sail for the third coast, we threw her a Grey Gardens-themed going-away bash. (#missustill,MN!)
That’s enough light reading to last you the afternoon, isn’t it? (Don’t answer that.)
If you’re willing, able, and in possession of champagne, raise a glass to Garky Eats! I’ll be doing the selfsame thing in T-6 hours. Cheers!